February 04, 2012


I'm finally building!! Today I FINALLY got to put the first floor walls up!! SUPER EXCITING!!!

Okay... So, it only took an hour to get them set, glued, and taped off... and now they've got to dry overnight... but that's why I had the time to sit and update all the blog posts. Because I'm REALLY bad about updating.

Anyway... there's not much to say except here's the first floor (minus the bay window area and the side access panel)

I may or may not have tried a few furniture arrangements while the glue was drying...

More prep work...

Hurray for prep work. I can't wait to get to the point where I'm actually BUILDING something!! The closest I've come is assembling the base. It went together with a couple of support beams and some glue. Not very impressive, but it's a start.

After the base was together, I started with some of the painting. There are two outside porches that needed the floors painted (white), and I did the internal ceilings at the same time. Since I was painting a large area I used a foam roller. You can get small rollers very inexpensively. They also work in the "real" world for painting trim or furniture.

In between coats of white I got the shutters painted. I was trying to bring out the rust color of the shingles, but my color choice ended up being too bright. I mixed a bunch of craft paint in and managed to get the color a little more earthy-looking. You can see both colors in this picture. The doors are the original color and the shutter parts are the mew, darker color.

Once the shutters were dry (two coats- and boy were they a pain to paint!) I assembled them (ie: glued the panels on the bases). I wasn't 100% happy with them though. I'd left them a little streaky to try and mimic the shingles (I love the look), but it needed something more. So, I dry-brushed a bit of copper around all the edges. It's not really apparent in the pictures, but it adds a little shimmer and I'm really happy with the final product.